Offer paid care and support
We are recruiting our first cohort of independent care and support workers in the Upper Calder Valley. You can read more about the role of independent worker below and take a look at our faq. Please be aware that a successful application does not mean guaranteed work, so if you need a job urgently, this is not the place!
We are concentrating on matching people looking for support in and around Hebden Bridge, followed by Todmorden. If you're based in either of those areas it's definitely worth getting in touch and making an application.
If you are not local to Calderdale and the valley, it's still worth getting in touch as that will help direct our work over 2019.
Independent care & support worker
You are a unique individual with unique talents, interests and skills. The best care and support relationships happen when both the caregiver and care receiver's needs are being met. For you, this may involve having work close to home, or work with people living with particular conditions. For the person, it may be being supported by a woman or by someone who loves to chat. The listings you post through the eccoo platform will reflect your individual offering: it may be personal care, gentle yoga, support with mobility or specialist care. It may be wellbeing and mindfulness or accompanying people to festivals and events.
The common factor in all of this is for each of you - the person giving and the person getting support - to have choice over the things that matter.
The role will involve:
- Giving care and support to people in their own homes
- Crafting and posting up to five, high-quality listings on our private platform (we will help!)
- Facilitated matching with clients
- Co-ordinating informal support networks with your clients, including connecting them with peer support
- Where possible and where appropriate, giving your clients the opportunities, confidence and support to help others themselves.
- Optionally offering peer support/mentoring to other workers near you
- Optionally organising socials with other workers near you
We will do all the work around finding and welcoming people who would like support, finding the best matches for you and giving you opportunities to develop in your career both personally and professionally.
- You have offered or you are currently offering independent care and support (you may be doing this as well as working for an agency)
- You are registered self-employed with HMRC
- You have an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service Check
- You have insurance cover in place
- You have worked as a care and support professional for at least one year
- You can provide excellent references: one from a previous employer and one from somebody you have supported directly
- You have an up-to-date care qualification
- You are willing to learn about co-operative ways of working, about co-production, self-managing teams, peer support and digital inclusion. This may be significantly different from what you are used to!
What are the benefits
- Set your own rates, decide your own hours. Be as flexible as you need to be.
- We help you keep control of your book-keeping. You can submit your expenses and we will generate your end-of-year statement for HMRC (though bear in mind this won't include income you receive from outside of your work through eccoo)
- Discounted access to training and continuous professional development
- Access to advice on managing self-employment
- Peer support (you are not alone!)
- Back-up for your clients when you are on holiday or ill
- Regular work from a larger pool of people who are looking for support. If somebody suddenly goes into hospital, for example, you can still find work to keep up your income
- Sense of being part of a team whilst also being your own boss
- (If you would like) you will also have priority access to salaried employment opportunities as eccoo goes from strength to strength.